Friday, June 5, 2009

Finally Three!

The twins' third birthday came and went with hardly a blip on the radar. Making a big deal about birthdays (or anything for that matter) is not my specialty. I'm constantly living in the shadow of friends and family who spend their time making life fun for their kids while I just try to get through it. I've seriously thought of putting my kids on the "Do Not Invite" list of everyone I know just to avoid the comparison, but they love the cool parties so I'll endure it.


Stuart made them a special breakfast in the morning. They requested waffles with strawberries. The rest of the day was spent the same as any other day, just hanging around and doing a few chores here and there. They checked the mail after breakfast where cards were waiting for them from Nanna and Pa-po. Camden's came with a princess crown that she wore the rest of the day. Cadence's card had fuzzy feathers (fuzzy feathers are a favorite of this girl)on it, and she now sleeps with it from time to time.


They played in the water in the back yard with the big girls most of the afternoon. At some point after lunch I remembered the cake mixes they'd picked out a week earlier, mixed them up and put them in the oven. After they cooled we frosted them. Cadence chose chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. Camden chose strawberry cake with cream cheese frosting.


Once the cakes were taken care of I went to Wal-Mart to pick up some groceries and a last minute gift. I couldn't get them what I wanted to and spent an hour agonizing over what to get them that fit in my budget. Nothing was jumping out at me. I finally decided on a swimming pool for the back yard. I got them each a little book and a bag of bracelets so they'd have something of their own to open. Stuart called me wondering where I was because it was waaaaay past dinner time. I had no idea I'd been there so long.


I picked up the twins' requested pizza and root beer for dinner and went home. The poor girls had missed their nap that afternoon, and were now having a late dinner on their birthday. I hoped they wouldn't be too cranky to enjoy the small celebration. I forgot the balloons I'd intended to get to make things seem a bit more festive. Once I finally arrived everyone enjoyed their pizza. Afterwards we lit the candles and sang "Happy Birthday" to my beaming three year-olds. They were just excited to have cake and blow out the candles. Camden and Cadence had fun tearing into their presents that Chloe and Madilyn had so carefully wrapped. They wanted to go swimming right away, but since it was already dark out we talked them into waiting. We managed to snap a few pictures with Stuart's phone (still no camera). We had to re-light the candles several times because the girls kept blowing them out before the picture took.


We tucked them into bed, happy we survived another year with twins! I can't believe they're three. Where has the time gone? I still have vivid remembrance of being pregnant with them. I have images burned into my memory of their hospital days. This year has been a challenging one. This is the year "The Adventures of Camden and Cadence" was born. I wonder, did I take the time to enjoy them? Did I revel in the uniqueness of twins? Or did I just muddle through and complain about the challenges of two at a time? I'm not sure I appreciated them near enough. Despite their adventurous nature, I love them. I'm glad they're here. Happy 3rd Birthday Girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment