Saturday, February 7, 2009

The First Adventure

What can happen in 20 minutes? As every mother knows, a LOT can happen in 20 minutes. I came downstairs after feeding my baby to discover Camden standing on the counters. She had spent the last little while scaling the upper cabinets and bringing various things down with her from each little expedition. One of which was food coloring (along with muffin cups, leftover Valentine's cards and other treasures), which was now all over my kitchen and all over my children (who of course were wearing new clothes, jackets and all). I was so shocked I didn't even know where to start. Not to mention I had left a naked baby laying on the bed upstairs (I'll spare you the details of why she was naked, but as parents I'm sure you can guess). What to do first? I called my husband to share my shock and disbelief at what I was seeing. I've learned that calling someone can save my children from sudden angry outbursts. He thought it was hilarious. I didn't. And try as he might to help me find the positive and see the humor in the situation, I wasn't having any of it. In his wisdom he suggested that I take pictures for posterity's sake, and in my stubborn anger I didn't do it. Why would anyone want to see pictures of Moon Sand (which will NEVER enter this house again) and Barbie Valentine cards from last year soaked in food coloring (which, may I remind you is a DYE) plastered all over my kitchen and dining room. I hung up with him unconsoled and a bit irritated that he was handling it so well. Easy to do when you're not there if you ask me. Next I called my sister-in-law and my mother who both shared in my frustration. Thank you ladies. I sent the twins outside so they couldn't touch anything else, quickly diapered the baby, set her down to play and started sweeping up the Moon Sand so that I could get to the floors, table, and counters. Thankfully the dye wiped off all the hard surfaces. On to cleaning of the children. I washed as much color off of their hands and face as I could before tossing them in the tub. They just kept bleeding color! I tossed Cadi in and the water turned a lovely shade of blue. Add Cami and it's green (think back to elementary school art class as to why that happened.) I scrubbed and scrubbed and then drained our beautiful water and refilled the tub before washing their hair. I didn't want to think of what would happen to their silky locks if they marinated too long in the ocean of bluish-green. Most of it came off. You can hardly tell Camden was involved at all since she chose yellow. Cadi has light reminders on her palms and in the tissue every time she blows her nose. Not a good place for food coloring. This may sound unbelievable, but its true. I offer photographic evidence in the post below (just for you mom. Sorry, no photos of the house). Of course none of it was as bad as the screaming and crying that ensued after redressing them because lunch was an hour late. I was thinking of skipping naps as a trial today, but not after that. Now that they're in bed I'm drowning my frustration in cookies leftover from last night's Enrichment get together, which I'll thoroughly regret later on many levels. As for the clothes, their fate is still unknown. Although I think I may have made a big mistake in putting them in the wash with other clothes. Everything may be an interesting color by now. We'll soon know. The washer is on its spin cycle...

November 19, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment